RID is excited to announce…
the launch of a new initiative to support the continuing education of our members! An independent study guide package has been developed to accompany the Law Enforcement Interpreting for Deaf Persons book, written by Tara Potterveld. Law Enforcement Interpreting for Deaf Persons provides great insight and in depth knowledge on procedures and protocols used in interpreting law enforcement situations.
Four Tracks Each Worth 2.0 CEUs
The study guide is divided into four tracks, each worth 2.0 CEUs. Tracks A, B, and C have one hundred questions that correspond to the ten specific chapters in the manual, Law Enforcement Interpreting for Deaf Persons. The questions in these tracks include multiple-choice, true or false, fill-in-the-blanks, and brief written answers. Most answers are found in the manual, however, some questions require the user to do web-based research or create a visual recording of oneself. In some cases, there may be more than one correct answer to a question and it is more important to be able to justify and support the answer you have provided. The web-based research will assist in learning the laws and codes particular to the jurisdiction where you live and work.
Track D requires working with a mentor to review and improve the participant’s visual recordings of legal interpretations, including renditions of the Miranda warning, prison forms, and other activities outlined in this guide. By creating a visual recording of yourself and working with a mentor to improve your interpretation, you will become more conscious of your actual output and become better prepared to interpret in a variety of law enforcement interactions. Track D has ten activities.
Steps to Complete this Independent Study
- Purchase the study guide of your choice and Law Enforcement Interpreting for Deaf Persons book (If you already own the book you will only need to purchase the study guide) through the Online Store in your member portal.
- Complete and sign the Independent Study plan that will be sent.
- Submit the Independent Study plan to RID HQ, either by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail (333 Commerce Street, Alexandria, VA 22314).
- RID HQ will review the Independent Study plan and email you with the information you’ll need to proceed within two to three business days of receipt. Once the Independent Study plan is approved, you can commence your work on the Independent Study.
- When you have completed all of the required work for the Independent Study, submit your completed materials to RID HQ, either by email (email@example.com) or mail (333 Commerce Street, Alexandria, VA 22314). Your completed Independent Study will be evaluated and the CEUs added to your Education History within 60 days of receipt.