SC:L (Specialist Certificate: Legal)
Holders of this specialist certification have demonstrated specialized knowledge of legal settings and greater familiarity with language used in the legal system. These individuals are recommended for a broad range of assignments in the legal setting. This exam has been available since 1998.
SC:L Candidate Bulletin:
Anyone who wishes to seek SC:L certification should first read the entire SC:L Candidate Bulletin to ensure a complete understanding of the certification process.
SC:L Candidate Bulletin
SC:L Examination Eligibility Requirements:
RID reserves the right to modify the eligibility criteria of all RID examinations.
SC:L Knowledge Examination:
Applicants for the SC:L Knowledge Exam must provide all appropriate documentation satisfying all of the eligibility in on of the following categories. Candidates are not considered registered until all eligibility documentation and fees have been processed by the RID Certification and Education Department.
Category #1 - Be a current certified member of RID, successful completion of a bachelor’s degree in any field or an associate’s degree in interpreting and documentation of at least 50 hours of legal interpreting/mentoring experience and 30 hours of formal legal training. In addition, five years of general interpreting experience (post certified member of RID status) is strongly recommended.
Category #2 - Be a current certified member of RID, successful completion of an associate’s degree in any field and documentation of at least 75 hours of legal interpreting/mentoring experience and 50 hours of formal legal training. In addition, five years of general interpreting experience (post certified member of RID status) is strongly recommended.
Category #3 - Be a current certified member of RID and documentation of at least 100 hours of legal interpreting/mentoring experience and 70 hours of legal training. In addition, five years of general interpreting experience (post certified member of RID status) is strongly recommended.
Category #4 – Possess a current SC:L.
*If you are applying to retake, you do not need to resubmit your documentation unless the RID Certifcation Derpartment notifies you.
1. Legal interpreting experience: a formal letter from the court clerk or from the interpreter service agency stating the date(s) duration, and topics covered.
2. Work with a mentor in the legal setting: a formal letter from the mentor, who holds valid RID certification. stating the date(s), duration, and topics covered.
3. Formal legal training: College or CEU transcripts, certificate(s) of attendance, or a formal letter from the instructor verifying your attendance and stating the training date(s), duration, and topics covered.
SC:L Performance Examination
Applicants for the SC:L Performance Exam must meet both the knowledge requirement and the educational requirement. Candidates are not considered registered until all eligiblity documentations and fees have been processed by the RID Certification Department.
1. Have taken and passed the SC:L Written Exam within 5 years.
Educational Requirement: The educational requirement is met when at least one of the following is complete:
1. Hold a Bachelor's degree or higher in any field and have already submitted a copy of your college transcript to RID or attach an official copy of your college transcript with the application.
2. Do not have a Bachelor's degree or higher, but have alread submitted an apporved Educational Equivalency Application or have attached a completed Educational Equivalency Application to this exam application.
Register for the SC:L examination:
You can apply and pay for any SC:L exam in one of two way:
1. Complete and send a hard-copy SC:L Examination application with payment of appropriate fees to RID Headquarters; or
2. Apply online by logging on to your RID account (or creating an account if you do not already have one) and clicking on “Register for a Test” in the Testing and CEU Information section. Payment can be made with a VISA or MasterCard.
Please mail all documentation to the Certification Department at RID Headquarters as displayed:
Attn: Cert & Ed Dept
333 Commerce Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
If the exam you want to pay for is not shown, please contact the Certification and Education Department by calling 703-838-0030 and choosing option 5 “Pre-Testing” or emailing email@example.com.
Special Accommodations for SC:L Exams:
RID complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and will accommodate requrests from qualified candidates with a diagnosed disability for accommodations if the request if reasonable, properly documented and does not fundamentally alter the examination or jeopardize exam security.
Those requesting accommodations must send a hard-copy application, note the needed accommodations on the application, and attach supporting documentation at least 30 days in advance of the scheduled exam date.
SC:L Test Outline
SC:L Rating Scales
SC:L Reference Materials
"Dual Interpretation and Discourse" by Phyllis Wilcox
"Who's in Charge Here?: Perceptions of Empowerment and Role in the Interpreting Setting" by Marina L. McIntire and Gary R. Sanderson
**RID reserves the right to modify the eligibility criteria of all RID certification examinations.